The calm backwaters of Alleppey, Kerala come roaring alive every year on the second Saturday in the month of August. The waters are dotted with the famed snake boats fighting neck to neck in the palm fringed Punnamada Lake in Alleppey; each vying to be the victor and the proud owner of the prestigious Nehru Trophy.
It is once again the time to feast your eyes and lose yourself to the mesmerising ripples of the backwaters.
The Race Particulars:
Venue: Punnamada Backwaters in Alleppey, Kerala
Date : August 8,2015 at 2:30 PM
Nearest Railway Station – Alleppey
Nearest Airport – Kochi International Airport
How to get there:
Alleppey is well connected by trains, but Ernakulum (Kochi) has better connectivity by both air and rail. Ernakulum lies 62km from Alleppey; multiple local buses and taxis are available. Taxis charge as much as ₹2500 for a one-way ride during this weekend. Overnight buses from Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and other cities can be booked via state run operators
Where to put up:
This is a super busy time of the year with people flocking in from all over the state, the country and world.
It is best to stay somewhere close to Alleppey to witness this great race. You can take your pick from Alleppey, surrounding villages, Marari beach or Fort Kochi. You can always book a houseboat(backwaterbreaks.com) and relax and maybe get a good view from the boat as well.
Ticket Tariff (official) :-
Book Tickets Online
DO’s and Don’ts for the Visitors of Nehru Trophy Boat Race
* Purchase tickets from authorized retail outlets (through Govt. depts. And tourism information office– authorized ticket counter)
* Please check the tickets for authorized seal of the committee and serial number
* Authorized counters can be identified with banners having logo of NTBR
* Try to reach Alappuzha by 9 AM
* The committee already arranged separate boats for the tourists and ticket holders to reach the race area
* The ticket holders must reach the specially arranged boat jetty by 11:00 for catching the boat
* Try to bring food items and water and can take to the venue
* Occupy your seat by 12:00 noon
* Vehicles can be parked in Municipal Stadium north of Zillah Court Bridge
* This facility will available only up to 11:00 AM
* Less luggage more comfort
* Show your tickets at the entrance of the boat jetty and also at the entrance of the pavilion
* For any help please contact the control room 2243441 / 100 (police)
* Do not purchase tickets from unauthorized person
* Do not purchase complimentary passes by paying cash
* Do not purchase tickets having no seal or serial no. etc.
* Do not bring any explosive items and dangerous electronic devices
* Smoking is not allowed in the pavilion
* Do not bring liquor to the pavilion
To Know more about Tracks and Heats:
Book Your Kerala Houseboat cruise with Backwaterbreaks.com and set adrift on the scintillating backwaters!